Dear readers, as 2013 fades into 2014 I think it is important that we all reflect on what this year has taught us and on what the New Year can bring. 2013 has been interesting, but pretty good. I have certainly learned a lot. I’ve had some amazing adventures–I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Scotland to study writing, I have visited lots of bookstores, and I have been on a number of fictional journeys as well. We have said goodbye to some iconic voices including Ned Vizzini, Doris Lessing and Seamus Heaney; We have been introduced to new debut authors and have received new work from beloved writers like JK Rowling. I have compiled several lists that make up my literary 2013, as well as a list of resolutions for the new year, but first I want to thank you all for reading my posts and staying with me. Happy new year to you and yours!
1. Happy New Year from This Side of Paradise— January 1, 2013. In which I have a New Year’s crown, talk about F. Scott Fitzgerald and make an attempt at video editing.
2. Matt Smith Reads a Poem…Need I say More?--January 6, 2013. In which I fangirl about Matt Smith and Michelle Dockery while they read poems.
3. Curiosity is the Greatest Human Quality–October 20, 2013. In which Hank Green says some amazing things.
4. “Certainly Goodnight” Writing Portfolio— 2013. Thank you for reading!
5. Books Are my Weakness–July 20, 2013. In which I buy too many books at various bookstores in St. Andrews.
6. Happy Thanksgiving— November 28, 2013. In which I am thankful for literary things.
7. Plot Twist: I found a bookstore— August 24, 2013. In which I find a bookstore in D.C.
8. Shipping, Stars and Maureen Johnson--February 28, 2013. In which I meet Maureen Johnson and discuss Rainbow Rowell and Katherine Boo.
9. Bookstore Meta–September 8, 2013. In which I discuss books about bookstores.
10. Alaska Young Day— January 10, 2013. In which it’s Alaska Young Day and I experimented with a new theme…
Bookstores I Visited
Books of Wonder, New York, NY
The Strand, New York, NY
Book Man, Book Woman, Nashville, TN
Bouquiniste, St. Andrews, UK
(Some of the) Books I’ve Read (in no particular order)
Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Katherine Boo
Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell
Creation, E.O. Wilson
Bodas de Sangre, Federico Garcia Lorca
Cronica de una Muerte Anunciada, Gabriel García Marquez
Nine Stories, JD Salinger
The Name of the Star, Maureen Johnson
The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Clockwork Princess, Cassandra Clare
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
Paper Towns, John Green
A Streetcar Named Desire, Tennessee Williams
13 Little Blue Envelopes, Maureen Johnson
Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wilde, Junot Diaz
And now I leave you with some resolutions and New Year’s cheer :)
1. Read at least 40 books
2. Post every Wednesday!!
3. Do a free write every night
4. Drink more water